Location: St. Louis
We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in helping us improve and scale our existing architecture and systems. You will closely collaborate with product, internal customers and other engineers to determine the best way to build products that meet their needs. You will work at a growing company making an impact by furthering our lead in food transparency and extending that to all packaged goods.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with a small, cross functional team in a TDD environment
- Develop maintainable multi-tier web applications
- Build and integrate with RESTful APIs
- Model data using NoSQL and/or RDBMS systems
- Work with AWS services including SQS and Lambda
- Design an event-driven, real-time architecture
- Build out infrastructure as code, supporting continuous delivery through tools such as Elastic Beanstalk, CircleCI and Terraform
- Participate in Agile ceremonies
- Continually learn about and work with the latest technologies and engineering techniques
- Communicate with and mentor junior engineers
- Experience in object-oriented development with Java and familiarity with frameworks and tools including Spring
- Understanding of data formats (JSON, CSV, XFM, etc)
- Familiarity with NoSQL and RDBMS systems such as DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, MySQL and/or PostgreSQL
- Good communication skills and a desire to mentor other engineers
About you, continued:
- While having experience in at least one of these items would be nice, you should at least have a desire to learn more about and use:
- Search and analytics (Apache Solr, Elasticsearch)
- Deep understanding of AWS (EC2, RDS, SWF, S3)
- Messaging (SQS, SNS, RabbitMQ)
- Integration/ETL frameworks (Apache NiFi, Spring Batch/Integration)
- Rule Systems (Drools)
- Continuous delivery (Elastic Beanstalk, CircleCI, Terraform, Ansible)
Who we are:
Label Insight was founded with the mission of helping consumers understand what’s in the products they use and consume. Today, our world class, venture backed, SaaS data platform is solving transparency for the entire industry. Our unique team is made up of talented engineers and data scientists, who work alongside food science and nutrition experts and product formulation specialists, who enable the enriched attribution capability of our tools.
Our engineering team consists of smart, dedicated and creative team members. Each engineer has a desire to grow as an individual and as a member of their cross functional team. We're passionate about best practices, and strive to follow standards laid out before us (big fans of Uncle Bob!). We also encourage community outreach efforts, including engineers participating in open source and speaking at local meetups and conferences.
- Transparency: We’re transparent and open about our work.
- Collaboration: We’re team players. We support and trust our co-workers, celebrate each other’s wins and learn from each other’s failures. We work to create an environment where everyone can thrive.
- Iteration and Innovation: We’re not afraid to challenge assumptions, make suggestions for better solutions, try new ideas, or take smart risks. We challenge the status quo, and feel safe to make mistakes knowing we can learn from them rather than repeat them.
- Intellectual Honesty and Humility: We pursue the best answer, not proving ourselves right. We are aware of our own biases and admit when we’re wrong. We’re willing to ask for help when we need it.
- Accountability: We take responsibility for our own work quality, problems and solutions, and how our actions affect those around us.
- Quality Driven: We strive for quality in our work and our approach to our role. We make data-driven decisions.
Perks of the job:
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Flexible work hours
- Kitchen stocked with snacks, drinks, a kegerator and more!
- Company subsidized Health Insurance
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Catered team lunches every other week
- Mentorship opportunities
- Regular team events and happy hours
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
Check out more about Label Insight, our culture, and our employees here.